Don't Let Your Past Limit Your Future

Washington Firearm Rights Restoration

Firearm Rights Restoration In Washington

February 16, 2016

Washington Gun Rights

One of the most controversial Amendments of the United States Constitution is the Second Amendment. As you may know, this amendment covers the right to keep and bear arms. It is often a topic of conversation in many public debate and town hall meetings. Many American citizens use the right to keep and bear arms to protect and care for their home and family. What some might not realize is that your Second Amendment rights and other civil rights can be lost if an individual is convicted of certain types of crimes. While this can be a discouraging punishment, there is a legal path to have these rights restored, depending on the state of the prior offense(s) and the nature of the crime(s) committed.

Here at WipeRecord, some of the most frequently asked questions related to Gun Rights Restoration revolve around the qualifications necessary to reinstate these rights, and the process in attempting to do so. The process will vary depending on which state the offense(s) occurred in.

Here’s some information on how the process typically works in Washington. In this State, a person may lose the right to own or possess a firearm if they are:


  • Convicted of any felony criminal offense
  • Convicted of any misdemeanor criminal offense which involves domestic violence
  • Involuntarily committed for any type of mental health treatment OR found not guilty of a criminal offense by reason of insanity
  • Subject to a restraining order, also referred to as a protective order

The restoration of firearm rights can be extremely complex and confusing. The level of difficulty will depend on the state where the offense occurred and the nature of the offense. Typically, in the state of Washington, an official court order reinstating firearm rights may be issued to eligible petitioners if the following requirements are met:


  • 3 years has elapsed since the date of the misdemeanor criminal offense; 5 years for a felony conviction
  • Completion of all terms of probation
  • There are no other pending criminal charges or arrest warrants
  • No other prohibition of firearm possession due to any other unrelated factors, such as a mental health commitment, OR any other court order which restricts or limits firearm rights, such as a restraining order


To start the process of gun rights restoration in Washington state, a petition must be filed at either the court of record which originally issued the prohibition, or at the court in the county in which the individual currently resides.

There are many types of crimes that, if convicted, an individual will never be able to restore their firearm rights. Instances where firearm rights are not eligible for restoration include any criminal offenses which are deemed to be serious- such as sex offenses and class A felonies.  In the state of Washington, the number of convictions a person may have generally does not play a significant role in his or her eligibility, as much as the nature of and time of occurrence of the convictions. Furthermore, firearm rights are never automatically restored in Washington state.

Restoring one’s firearm rights can be a lengthy and difficult process. The process can be much more effective with the assistance of an experienced law firm or attorney that practices in this particular area and may better assist you. At WipeRecord, the services we provide are unique in that it can save you time and money.

If you would like to learn more or would like to discuss the possibility of restoring firearm rights in Washington – or any other state that we service – please give us a call at 844.947.3732 to speak directly with a member of our staff. You can also take our free, secure eligibility test here.

  1. Steve says:

    How can I expunge my record and restore my rights in Washington? I’ve been done with probation and paid all fines over 5 years ago.

  2. robert Tageant says:

    Please get a hold of me at 509-860-6005 or at

    • WipeRecord Team says:

      Robert – we will have an agent contact you shortly. Please reach out to us at 844-947-3732 if you do not hear from an agent within 24 hours of this message.

  3. Samuel Brown says:

    I’d like to find out how much it would cost to get my firearm rights reinstated & everything else on my record expunged

    • Jordan Myres says:

      Hey Sam,
      Please give us a call at 844-947-3732 and we’ll get you the info you need. Thanks!

  4. greg says:

    I had juvenile class c felony sealed/vacated and gun rights restored in Wa in 2005. does the federal government recognize this and if i move to another state will the other state recognize the restoration order?

    • DanielWR says:

      Hi Greg,

      Generally, the Federal Gun Control Act has an exception for persons who have had their conviction expunged or set aside, however, it depends upon the state’s laws as well. Whether another state will recognize your Washington court order depends on that state’s laws as well. Please contact us for more information and to see if we can help.

  5. James says:

    Can I talk to someone via email? I have difficulty talking on the phone due to disability.

    I badly want to restore my firearms rights, but finding a lawyer that takes payments I can actually afford on an SSI disability income has so far not panned out. The best offer I’ve had so far is $250 per month, which is out of my league.

    It looks as if I may not be able to have my 2nd Amendment right restored because I am disabled.

  6. Crystal says:

    What if I have 3counts of felony 2nd identity theft? Am I able to purchase a gun?

  7. […] Washington Firearm Rights Restoration […]

  8. jamie blouin says:

    I had a couple felony’s when I was 18 years old. I’m 51 now and have had my firearms rights restored. What box do I check where the form asks if I’ve ever had a felony? Yes or no.

Leave a Comment


Recent Posts

Texas Capitol
Austin, Texas Legalizes Hemp, Decriminalizes Small Amounts of Marijuana
April 2, 2020

In the capitol of Texas, Austin, a heated debate has ensued after the state recently passed House Bill 1325.  The Bill legalized the production and consumption of hemp. Because of the new law, many district attorneys now require officials to distinguish between hemp from marijuana. Because, marijuana is still illegal in the state, and the substance should be confirmed before … Read More>

California Bear
Can You Expunge Traffic Offenses and Violations in California?
April 1, 2020

Many people wonder if they can get a traffic offense or violation removed from their records. Having a DUI or driving without a license conviction show up on your record can have negative consequences. It can inhibit your job or housing opportunities by having that unfortunate mark of a criminal record. Generally, traffic violations fall into three categories: infractions, misdemeanors, … Read More>

Disclaimer: The material on this blog has been prepared and is copyrighted by WipeRecord, a division of Eastman, Libersat & Meyler, PC ("WipeRecord"). The material is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Information provided by or cited to third parties does not necessarily reflect the opinions of WipeRecord or any of its attorneys or clients. Results of any expungement or restoration of civil and/or firearm rights may vary from case to case. We obtained your email address when you took the eligibility test on our website. Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisement. Please refer to our website for prices. This is a legal advertisement. If you have already hired or retained a lawyer in connection with your gun rights restoration, please disregard this letter. Our lawyers do not have professional liability insurance.